Asparagus and Citrus Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs. Fresh California asparagus trimmed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 oranges (preferably blood oranges)
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped, toasted walnuts
- In a small bowl combine shallots with the vinegar and sherry; let stand at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, zest 1 of the oranges, avoiding the white pith. Finely chop zest and add to the shallots.
- Squeeze 1/3 cup juice from zested orange and add to the bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Cut asparagus spears in half or in fourths and cook in boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender; drain well and remove from pan to cool. Toss the vinaigrette with the cooled asparagus.
- Cut the ends of the remaining oranges and peel them by cutting down the fruit vertically, following the contours of the fruit.
- Slice the peeled orange horizontally into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Arrange the orange slices and asparagus spears on salad plates and season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon toasted walnuts.
- Recipe courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission
Calories Per Serving: