Olive Oil Cake
The secret with olive oil cake is in the olive oil that is selected.I prefer an extra virgin California Olive oil with a fruity flavor.So make sure when you select the oil that the label indicates harvest date.An olive oil label with out a harvest date is more than likely not a top quality oil that might effect the taste of this recipe.
Another secret is adjusting the olive oil ingredients to fit your taste buds.So, its ok to adjust the amount of olive oil used in the recipe to your personal taste.
This is not officially lemon cake,just gives it a great flavor with the fruity olive oil.
- 3/4 cup California extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 cup cake flour (Ok to use all purpose flour)
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees,and grease a 9 inch cake pan with olive oil
- Whisk the lemon juice into the flour
- With an electric mixer,beat the yolks and add 1/2 cup suger for about 2 minutes.Now add the olive oil,and after the oil is mixed in blend in the flour.
- Mix or whisk the egg whites and add 1/4 teaspoon salt.slowly add 1/4 cup of sugar about 2 minutes or so and add to the flour mixture.
- Pour the mix into the pan,tap the pan and sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top of the mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and a tooth pick comes out clean,about 25 - 30 minutes. let cool for ten minutes or so.
- Serve at room temperature with berries.