Roasted Baby Artichokes
- 12 baby artichokes
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse artichokes well under cold water or immerse them repeatedly into water.
- Set aside a large bowl of cool water mixed with 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- Drop artichokes into the water as soon as you have trimmed them to prevent browning.
- Cut stems and the top one-third of each artichoke off.
- Pull back the leaves until they snap off.
- Continue to snap them off, turning as you go, until you have reached the pale yellow leaves.
- Cut the artichokes in half or quarters and place them into the lemon water.
- In a roasting pan, toss the baby artichokes with lemon slices, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and roast until they are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir, roast another 10-15 minutes or until artichokes begin to turn brown.
- Serve as a side dish or toss with pasta and Parmesan cheese.