Sweet and Sour Winter Squash
- 2-pound piece butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1/3 cup olive oil, or as needed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 or 3 large cloves garlic, sliced paper-thin
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground block pepper to taste
- Halve the squash, discard the seeds and fibers, peel the halves, and cut the pulp into 1/3 inch-thick slices.
- Warm half the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- In batches, add the squash slices and sauté, adding oil as needed and turning to brown both sides, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a serving platter.
- Cover with the mint and garlic.
- To the oil remaining in the pan, add the vinegar, sugar, and the cinnamon, if using, and cook until the sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the squash. Serve at room temperature.
Calories Per Serving: